The 2018 call for nominations is now closed.
2018 Call for Nominations Overview
The International Sustainable Campus Network (ISCN) is the premiere international forum for leading universities to share ideas and best practices for sustainable campus operations and integrating sustainability in research and teaching. The ISCN Sustainable Campus Excellence Awards promotes landmark projects that demonstrate how the environmental, social and economic issues of our time provide opportunities for university administrations and faculty alike to improve campus infrastructures and university administration and recognize opportunities to integrate them into their research and learning activities.
About the Award
The ISCN is pleased to announce the call for nominations for the Tenth Annual International Sustainable Campus Excellence Awards. As the premier organization that provides international awards recognizing excellence in the areas of Building, Campus Planning, Collaboration, and Student Leadership, the ISCN is dedicated to building a gallery of outstanding projects that showcase excellence and leadership from around the globe.
Select winners of the awards may be invited to the award ceremony as part of the ISCN 2018 Conference, Sustainable Development: Acting with Purpose, at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, June 11-13, 2018. All awardees will receive a plaque and will be featured in the ISCN gallery of landmark projects where they will serve as case studies to inspire university members on what is possible and how successful projects can be developed. Through the global presence of the ISCN, the visibility of the awards will not only fertilize the improvement of campus development internationally, but will also help continue the momentum for the awardees on their own campuses.
- Building and Innovative Infrastructure
- Campus Planning and Management Systems
- Innovative Collaboration
- Student Leadership
The 2018 ISCN Award jury will consist of campus sustainability experts who have served on the jury in the past will be invited as sustaining jurors and 2017 ISCN Award winners have been invited to serve on the jury for this year.
The ISCN Award jury for 2018 includes:
Sustaining Jurors –
- Matt Gardner
- Jack Spengler
- Hongwei Tan
- Roland Stulz
- Bart Meehan
Winners from 2017 –
- Excellence in Building and Innovative Infrastructure: NUS – Prof Yong Kwet Yew
- Excellence in Campus Planning and Management Systems: University of Applied Sciences Trier – Prof Klaus Helling
- Excellence in Innovative Collaboration: Swarthmore College – Aurora Winslade
The process for Award judging includes:
- Stage 1 – All applications are screened for completeness. Completed applications advance.
- Stage 2 – First-round scoring by the jury to identify up to five projects in each category to advance to the next level.
- Stage 3 - The jury may ask those projects that have advanced to answer outstanding questions, address comments and/or provide supplemental information (e.g., powerpoint, other media.)
- Stage 4 – A second-round in-depth scoring by the jury to review details of the initial application and all supplemental information provided.
- Stage 5 – After jury deliberation, the top finalists in each category will be identified and winners chosen.
Initial Application – Due March 5, 2018
Applicants can file their entries by filling in the one page entry form.
Based on this standardized questionnaire, the ISCN Awards Jury will screen entries and will score the complete applications. Based upon the results of this first-round scoring, the jury will select the top five applicants in each category and may send out requests for supplemental information.
Projects that have been awarded a similar award at the national or regional level are still eligible for nomination for an ISCN award.
Supplemental Information – Due March 26, 2018
Outstanding applicants may be asked to submit additional documentation about the project. These comprehensive entries will be evaluated in-depth by the ISCN Awards Jury in a second-round of scoring. Those applicants who receive top scores will be identified as finalists.
Jury Decision – April 16, 2018
An international panel of experts that comprise the ISCN Award Jury will determine the Award finalists and ultimately the winner in each category. The Jury will inform the winning candidates and prepare a laudation. In addition to the awards given in the described categories, the Jury reserves the right to recognize any entry for their unique value or attributes.
The Award Ceremony is part of the ISCN 2018 Conference hosted by KTH Royal Institute of Technology, June 11-13, 2018. In lieu of a formal academic presentation of their project, we will ask the winners to prepare a 3-minute video of their project to be shared at the Gala.