The Laboratory of Guimarães landscape is an ambitious project which is to contribute directly and indirectly to the national and international goals of sustainable development in all its dimensions. With the vision to be and be recognized as an active agent within the integrated action and participatory international best practices in sustainable development policies, the Landscape Laboratory is currently based on two fundamental action pillars: The education and environmental awareness with order to change habits and behavior of society towards greater sustainability; And Research, Development and Innovation directed to four areas of knowledge (ecology, geography, Water and Urban Environment). With the mission assigned to it by its constituents, Guimarães City Hall, University of Minho and University of Tras-os-Montes and Alto Douro, the Landscape Laboratory is and will be a reference institution, with all the conditions for that, in a sustained manner, crave transfer knowledge to the territory with great success, also ensuring proximity between scientific knowledge and the community. Promote knowledge and innovation, research and science communication, contributing to an integrated approach and participatory environmental policies and sustainable development, aiming at a high level of environmental awareness, an efficient metabolism of cities, well-being and quality of life, as well as protection of natural resources.
The Landscape Laboratory have a vision to be and be recognized as an active agent in the context of international best practices in sustainable development policies.
The main goals are based on a multidisciplinary work, think and spread inductors methodologies and processes of ecological cities, sustainable, inclusive and resilient in order to promote quality of life and sustainable development
in urban areas through the following specific objectives:
- Promote efficient use of natural resources. Characterize the main parameters associated with environmental quality, promote their monitoring and interpretation, as well as the definition of a preventive action framework;
- Preserve biodiversity and ecosystem sustainability. Reinforce the concept of green structure for the city and its surroundings, generating contributions to the process management and spatial planning;
- Promote awareness and awareness campaigns. Encourage a more active role of citizens in defense of the quality of the natural and built environment;
- Analyzing the landscape dynamics. Based on an interdisciplinary approach, promote understanding of landscape transformation processes, and designing creative visions on the use and appropriation of spaces and places.
- Study solutions promoting eco-efficiency of urban systems. Based on a holistic view, promote research and innovation, promoting sustainability and resilience.
- Encourage the development of innovative projects. Create a favorable environment for the pursuit of practical and conceptual experimentation projects, contributing to more inclusive and ecological societies.
- Promote new economic ranks. Encourage sustainability and economic growth by fostering the creation and incubation of new business ranks in agriculture, forestry, food, energy and environmental.
For more information, please visit: http://www.labpaisagem.pt